Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day One

Today was the first whole day for me in Guatemala and it was a pretty slow day. We woke up at 630 this morning to take freezing cold showers, grab a bite to eat, and head to "la mission" (where Tito and his crew run their business). Tito, Marco (one of his crew), Kevin (a college student from Texas A&M), Alejandro (Tito's son), and I went to get some wood for the worksite. The work site is a school that was shut down about 5 or so years ago and Tito, along with two doctors from Wenanchee (father and son), worked to get the school back up and running. Tito and his crew of doctors and a dentist run clinicals from this building as well, and there is still some construction work being done on the upstairs. We (those mentioned earlier who got the wood) arrived at the site just before lunch time, when I learned how to prepare for lunch and how to go about serving it. Apparently if you put all the food out for the people, they take more than they should until it is all gone (even if they do not need it). After lunch, I was assigned to help out in la pharmacia, where we recieved "perscriptions" from the doctors and gave the appropriate medication to the patients. I only saw two women breastfeeding today, which was less than I had expected, considering the severe warnings I had received.
Tito called me into the kitchen part way through the day and we discussed some of the things I may be able to help him with as far as the business aspect goes. We were all done with work and left at a reasonable hour to get back for dinner. The food here is amazing! I did end up eating three protein bars between lunch and dinner because they were so spread apart.
The weather was pretty warm and sunny in the morning, probably high 70's, but thunder and rain came quickly in the afternoon. It was pretty refreshing actually.
All the workers here are extremely nice, most of them speak some english and it is easy to communicate with everyone. My spanish is already getting better and I am understanding things more and more.
I would like to write in more detail, but it is 10:20 here and we get up pretty early...
Unfortunately my computer does not work with the internet here at Tito's house, so we are sharing this girl's mac. I am not sure when I will be able to skype, but my computer is supposed to work at "la mission," so when I know the schedule better, I will try and let you know when I can chat with you all. I love you and miss you and I am praying for all of you.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for a blog! Glad you arrived safely. We're praying that you have a wonderful time and are able to help a lot! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent first day of work, bro. Glad to hear all is going well. I'll give you the equivalent of ten pesos if you can translate the following: "Necessito leche para refrescar mis labios que se queman." Much lovin' from us both.

    ReplyDelete