Thursday, June 25, 2009

6/25/2009

Yesterday our group went back to Palencia where we finished the clinic that was started before I arrived. I got to the school much earlier than the day before, and was able to work in la pharmacia for longer and get to know how things work a little bit better. All of the people I am working with are extremely nice and it has been quite an interesting/entertaining experience getting to know them better - they have quite a sense of humor. I have also been picking up much more spanish and am understanding more when the Guatemalans speak to me. We have made some entertaining games for the car rides (usually about an hour long): Kevin and I think of english words to quiz the Guatemalans, and they think of spanish words to quiz us.
Today was what they called a "rest day" where we went to the office and did some cleaning/re-organizing (I worked on some pamphlets for La Mision). All of the men went back to Palencia to bring back the supplies and tools we had left there, and that took quite some time. In my last posting I said one of the men's name was Marco, but today I discovered it is actually Makko.
This morning the group from Wenatchee went back home, and last night we had a goodbye banquet for them, where there was a large feast and a slide show. It was fun because I got to meet the families of the men and women I have been working with. So many little kids...
To answer Mom's question, yes, there is definitely enough food for me here, especially for dinner. For lunch when we are doing clinics, I am one of the last to go through the line because I have been designated one of the "Guatemaltecan" who always eat after the american group. The power bars are helping tremendously in between meals (I eat about 3 per day).
We went to a grocery store today that was set up like a typical costco except for one thing... there were police officers patrolling the area with shotguns and automatic machine guns. We bought a lot of food in preparation for the two teams coming to help this weekend. The average size of a group that comes to help is about 15-20, but this weekend we will have 50. In response to Lauren's request, we will be going to Concepcion, which is like the middle class people here. Not as primitive as it gets here, but more primative than Guatemala City or Palencia. Concepcion is where the Myans (I don't know about the spelling) live. Today we were able to sleep in until 7, and tomorrow we will sleep in until 8:30. I am still extremely tired at the end of every day. Right now it is 9 pm and it feels like midnight. Tito and his wife and kids are so welcoming and kind, it is always fun to come home and share dinner with them. I often am not working directly with Tito, and his wife always stays at home, preparing food for us.
I would appreciate any prayer for this weekend as it will probably be a bit crazy with so many people coming. I love you all and appreciate your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of people to direct, feed, and keep working! Glad you are entertaining yourself. Have you learned any strange words?
    PS Rachel got mooned at work the other day. Yay for Stewart Heights!

    ReplyDelete