Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Concepcion

So on monday we spent the day traveling to this huge lake that is surrounded by volcanoes... it is spectacular. the clouds come down into the valley-ish area and the volcanoes sometimes peak through. We are staying at a hotel that has internet, hence the post. The clinic started yesterday, and both days I have worked in the dental room, assisting the dentists with extractions, fillings, etc. It's pretty fun and hands on. One of the dentists said that I can perform an extraction on one of the younger kids (they are easier because the roots aren't as deep), so hopefully I can do that tomorrow. Many people have come through the clinic, both for dental and other medical reasons, and everyday before we get there, there is always a long line by the door. The people are extremely friendly and the little kids are so cute. We've been giving the children stuffed animals to help in distracting them from the injections. Some of the teeth we see are horrible, while others are surprisingly quite healthy. I was helping clean this one kid's teeth, and large chunks of grey and brown build-up were scraping off... it was pretty nasty.
I've been having a great time getting to know the guatemalans as well as the american teams that are down here, and my spanish is continuing to improve. There is one Guatemalan that joined us on this trip, his name is Lo-lo, and he is fluent in english as well. He and I have been talking quite a bit because he speaks very clearly and can explain words when I don't understand. He's a really funny guy.
We eat breakfast and dinner at a restaurant down the street and the food is quite good. I think if I were to stay here long-term I would turn into a fat, jolly man. Fat from the food, and joyful from serving the Lord with such a passionate group of people. Their passion and trust amazes me every day.
I am having a wonderful time and have been getting plenty of food and sleep (that was for you, mom). Tomorrow is our last day here at Concepcion and friday we will be heading back to our base. It is crazy to think that it is July already. I feel like time is going so fast, but then I think about what all we've done and I feel like I've been here for forever! I also feel that way when I think about you all at home, don't worry.
Carlos is another guy who joined us for this clinic and he is 23 years old and is a dentist. Apparently their medical and dental schools begin immediately after highschool. He said he's been a dentist for about a year now, and he speaks about as much english as I speak spanish, so we've been conversing (me en espanol, and he in english) and have been helping each other.
Well, I'm pretty dang tired and can't really think of anything else important to say, except that I love you all and miss you so much! I have a prayer card that I have things to pray for written on and I pray for all of you every night. One thing that you can pray for me, is for patience with certain individuals... It hasn't been bad though. I love you all and hope you are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment